Identity Crisis?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Identity Crisis?

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Hey Guys,

I need help with something. Recently, I've been thinking - perhaps a little too much - about my character. Katatherick is good and everything, but he has somehow twisted, over the months since I created him in September, from a smooth, sort of sneaky character who believed in doing just about anything, even killing and stealing, to maintain what he calls the 'greater good' into something of a paladin who instead of using healing magics, uses celestial magics. Has this ever happened to one of you? Did you start out with a certain character concept and ended up with something else entirely? I don't know if I want to keep playing him this way...it's not what I had in mind and I've already tried soul forging him into - big mistake - what I thought others saw him as. This was a terrible freaking idea. Basically what I'm asking is, how do you deal with this? How do you keep playing the character when you yourself aren't even sure who he is anymore.

I could use some help here so please tell me what you'd do...

Ben

Back to top Go down

Re: Identity Crisis?

Post  Kouga Lunic on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 am

Now what i am doing with kouga is just giving the backround and seeing where this takes him, he has no goals only a bit of a dream. Play him be him and see how he changes for all it is, is another life in another world. And just as in this world things change people change and devolpe into who or what we are now. Kath could be changeing and becomeing a new person. Just keep playing him and see where he goes how he changes and if you dont like kath you can give him a change of mind and just roleplay that out.
Kouga Lunic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 am

Joel,

The point is, I already tried giving him another outlook and a bit of change. Did you read where I said I soul forged him? He was a Rogue and now he's a Templar. The problem is, now I feel like he's changed too much...I can't seem to nail down what I really want do with this cat person and to be honest, I don't know if I want to sink any more money - out of character or in character - into this character if I don't want to play him anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kouga Lunic on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am

Well then u got 2 choices fix kath to how u like him or make someone you like.
Kouga Lunic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:09 am

There's a third choice too, man. I could just dump the character and start a new one. That's kinda what I'm asking, but I need to get more opinions than just the one. And no, if I abandon Kath, you don't get his wand. Why would Kath logically decide to just hand over his most prized position right before leaving the land of Naringal forever? It doesn't make sense, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kouga Lunic on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:11 am

Well can i buy it? lol, and ye it does as a memorable to the people hes leaving behind
Kouga Lunic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:13 am

No, dude, it totally, completely and undoubtedly makes no sense...besides, if he would leave it to anyone, it would be left to Ti Tie, not Kouga.

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:38 am

Oh Ben! .... So been there!! .....

Micah Actually started out as a Templar ... ... leader of his group whos goal was to travel the lands, and find a place to call home. Since then Micah, well ended up in Naringal, and well since then ..... He changed to Scholar, (cause I enjoyed casting more) ... my group has become seen as "renegades" lawless neanderthals (lol) and that was never what they intended to be, but someone, via that change has honestly shaped there views and how they now interact with others....

I think its honestly part of the game! ... as the character can change just as we do, and different aspects of the game influence them, and their decision (Ask Terik, who well when started was Anti-Chaos, and has since been corrupted lol)

and to be honest it never really too late to change his views/outlook on things, and revert back to the original concept, or roll with it and see how it plays out ... ...

Having an Alt. is an option, many people do it so not to burn out, but I honestly enjoy "drama" that Micah and the Amasai seem to bring to the table even without trying! ....

Bottom line, is its really all about having fun! ... if your not having fun, then a change is needed!

Michael

Naringal Guildmaster
Apprentice to Lord E'nick of Avalon's Crown
Eldest of the Amasai
Knight of Naringal

Before you assume, learn the facts. Before you judge, understand why.
Micha_Amasai

View user profile http://www.shopneroswv.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40 am

i find it best to just let what happens happen and let kath be the person naringal and beronis makes him. i think that once you let go of the strict rule set you make for kath you will find you enjoy the game more.

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:42 am

AGREE!

Naringal Guildmaster
Apprentice to Lord E'nick of Avalon's Crown
Eldest of the Amasai
Knight of Naringal

Before you assume, learn the facts. Before you judge, understand why.
Micha_Amasai

View user profile http://www.shopneroswv.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 am

I tend to agree in that change is needed, Michael, I'm just not sure how that change should be made...I tried soul forging him and as I said, that may not have been the best idea for him. I kinda need to think about it a little more, I guess...on the other hand, Arazmus has a pretty good idea, just letting it take me somewhere and rolling with it. Bleh...

Back to top Go down

Post  Nabsten on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:08 pm

I see tons of options. First of all, come up with a storyline. Why is he changing? Is it the land? Is it those around him? Is he bi-polar/multi-personality? Has some outside force hand influence on him (you could work with plot on some back story here)? Does he have an internal stuggle over these new feelings? Is he pretending to be so good as part of some scheme?

A spirit forge really only changes your skill set, it doesn't have to change who your character is, their goals, etc.

For me personally, my characters are extensions of myself, though with different twists. Their personalities have as many different aspects as my own, maybe more.

I have been playing Kelvaren for 12+ years. He started out as a wild elf named Hoan. A few years ago I was unable to play NERO for about a year. I wrote an 8 page character history, that extended back to my characters grandparents, long before he was born. Also, I wrote what he had been doing and all the things that happened to him. He went through memory loss, which he still suffers from, and a name change.

You can work with plot to determine what your character is doing between events. Plus you can even get build for it with the extended character history options. Alot of people don't know about these, so I thought I would mention it.
Nabsten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

IdentityCrisis

Post  Zara on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Kath~

Believe it or not, Zara started out quiet and shy!!! (I know, I know.... ridiculous!) Everyone has given good advice on this subject. But ultimately, the choice is yours. Play Kath as you want him to be.... templar, rogue, scholar, thief, fighter..... it doesn't matter. You need to have fun with the character. That is the bottom line. You know.... you WOULD make a good gypsy!

I agree that fleshing out a back story will give you insights into one's character development. But you also have to remain flexible in your interpretation of behaviors and circumstances. Allow such things and events to shape Kath..... keeping in mind the reason behind LARPing.... have fun and relieve stress!

No matter what you decide, you are a good role player, and fun to be around! There will always be a place at Zara's table (fire, tavern, etc.) for whatever character you decide to bring into the game.

Gypsies Rule!!!!

~Zara

Zara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terik on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Terik was one of the worlds worst Celestial Templars, now he is an average fighter. Character wise, Terik started out more like a Paladin and has now ended up walking a Ranger/Rouge path because of surroundings and circumstances. Noah is right, the character has to be some small extension of your own personality or you're just faking it. That's why I worry about Travis/Enick Laughing
Terik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:22 pm

I thought the idea here was to play something that wasn't you. I think the problem I'm having is that in just about any RPG I've played before, I've played a character who was completely different. But since Katatherick apparently has a good infusion of Ben psyche, I think the direction he's going upsets me and gets far too personal for me. It is comforting to know that apparently everyone has gone through this at one point, though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top