Latest News from the Patrols

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Latest News from the Patrols

Post  Terik on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:34 pm

My fellow adventurers,

No news from the 11th section scouting the areas near the claims as of yet. Word should reach me soon.

Word from the 9th is that they have reached the caverns that many of you came across the last Market Day. The forest around the caverns has been twisted by some curse. It is more dense, tangled, and gloomier than before. The thick, twisted tree trunks, unnaturally misshapen limbs, writhing roots, clutching and grasping thorns and briers all seem to warn the men off, but they have forced and hacked their way through regardless. The strange growth had suddenly ended at a ravine-like area. The walls rise rather steeply to either side to a height of about 100' or so - dark streaked rock mingled with earth. Clumps of trees grow here and there, both on the floor of the ravine and up the sloping walls of the canyon. The opening is about 200' wide. The ravine runs at least 440' West to where the western end rise in a steep slope. here and there, at varying heights on all sides of the ravine, the black mouths of cave-like openings in the rock walls. The sunlight is dim, the air dank. The men report an oppressive feeling here - as if something evil is watching and waiting to pounce upon them. There are bare, dead trees here and there. Amongst the litter of rubble, boulders, and dead wood scattered about on the ravine floor, there are bits of gleaming ivory and white - bones and skulls of men, animals, and other things.

The men have set up a screen and a forward observation post. They have selected two positions in which they can quickly retreat if spotted and, between the two positions, can see all 11 caverns. The caverns, I am told, have previously been labeled A-K. Below is a quick description and locations of each of the caverns.

A) This cave is at the base of the ravine to the right.
B) This cave is fifty feet up on the right from the base and is very close towards the observation posts.
C) This cave is also fifty feet up on the right but is 200 feet west from cave B. There is a pile of refuse just outside this cave.
D) This cave is at the base of the left and it is the second closet cave to the observation post.
E) This cave is also at the base on the left but about 90 feet west of cave D.
F) This cave is on the left fifty feet up from the base and about 200 ft from cave D or 130 feet from cave E. I am told that this cave has already been cleared last Market Day. My men will still keep an eye on this cave for activity.
G) This cave is at the base but at the very back of the ravine. Some of the more superstitious of the 9th section say they have "a bad feeling" about this cave and make marks in the dirt when the wind blows from the direction of that cave.
H) This cave is close to the far back fifty feet up from the base on the right past cave C. There is sign out side of this cave. Did anyone read it last Market Day?
I) This cave is just above cave G about fifty feet at the back of the ravine.
J) This cave is 100 feet up from the base on the right back to almost the end of the ravine.
K) This cave is 75 feet from the base at the very back on the left of the ravine. This cave is surrounded by twisted trees and a well worn path is visibly beaten into the ground leading up to it.

I will resupply the men within the next couple days. I should have more information soon.

Until then,
Terik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Latest News from the Patrols

Post  Terik on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Here is more information from the 9th Section:

Cave A) There has been little daytime activity. Small bands of what reports claim to be Kobolds enter and exit this cave.

Cave B) Sparse activity, reports say two maybe three groups of Orcs come and go. It is hard to determine if it is multiple groups or the same ones. It is best to assume multiples.

Cave C) Orcs use this exit to dump remains and refuse. Due to proximity and the fact that nothing really enters or exits, I can only surmise caves B and C are connected. I would recommend entering through cave C. If my theory holds it would be less likely to have traffic or guards. I have been wrong before.

Cave D) One afternoon there was a small band of Goblins being bossed around by what looked like Hobgoblin from the vantage point of my men. Not alot of activity in and out during the time of the report.

Cave E) Patrols report the biggest yellow skinned humanoid they have ever seen. My research in Haven suggests an Ogre. This thing is big because my men were witness to the frost giant attack at Keldpazen. The Ogre leaves alone and comes back carrying a squirming sack of...I'm not sure I want to know.

Cave F) Nothing was spotted going in or out. From reports in Haven, this cave was cleared by adventures last Market Day.

Cave G) Not good, whatever may be in there. Every living thing in this hellish ghetto avoids the entrance to this cave at all cost. Even the big Ogre. If these things avoid it, I will too...for now.

Cave H) The reports from Haven say adventures were already here. This cave was not cleared because of Hobgoblin infestation. Reportedly the sign reads, "We'd love to have you for dinner." Nice, huh?

Cave I) There is a murder of red bird-like creatures with long needle-like beaks that fly from this cave and return every day. The tomes of legend in Haven suggest the description of what one source calls 'Stirge' or others call 'Dire Ravens'. Either legend proves these creatures formidable.

Cave J) There is a group of Hyena looking humanoids coming and going from this cave in hunting packs. They always seem successful which denotes intelligence, stealth, and maybe luck.

Cave K) This cave is surrounded by twisted trees and a well worn path is visibly beaten into the ground leading up to it. There were some dark red robed figures, by one report nine in number. They come down the path to the cave entrance and enter the cave. They walk in single file with the one in lead carrying a censor swinging in back and forth with black smoke pouring from it. Though hard to determine from distance and the covering of the robes, the men of the 9th think these "Lost Ones" may be human. Gossips in Haven claim these are the recent settlers of Amrun Taury that were possessed by the dark magics of the chalice.

I am very concerned with the dark magic that is twisting the lands near these caverns. However, my men were not threatened in any way, nor were there visible signs of immediate danger to the claims or Haven, I see no advantage to wasting resources to take any of these caverns with possible danger to the claims all but guaranteed. It would be nice to gather more information from cave K in the future, if indeed these red robes are the 'Lost Ones'. If they are just some mad cult, I have no interest in them until they prove a threat.

I have resupplied the 9th and they will not return to Haven until the morning preceding the full moon. They will send word to me if situations change.

I am anxious to hear everyones thoughts.
Terik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arvil Boulderbreaker on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:56 pm

I say we take out the ogre. lets see how big he is after I hit him with me axe!!
Arvil Boulderbreaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terik on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 pm

Sorry, good Dwarf, but I don't think you'll be staining the ravine walls with Ogre anytime soon. The 11th just reported a force of about 400 strong made of Ogres, Goblins, Lizardmen, Bog Trolls, Fomorian Giants, and Worgs. They are massing near the borderlands and look to be ready to march at weeks end.

My fellow adventurers, we must make preparations to defend the claims. This will give Haven time to prepare and Captain von Beckelheimer the chance to counter attack.

To those new to the lands, it is understandable if you do not wish to fight, but I ask you to stand with me. My brother and I were refugees when the Captain gave us a chance at a new life, and a new home. There is great need here, but great reward as well. Make this your new home and stand with us!.
Terik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Micha_Amasai on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 am

Sounds as thou we may have some trouble this gather, in these uncharted lands....? Thou it could prove to be most interesting..... seeing as how my brothers love a challenge.... ( I dunno why) however.... I will be there to rescue all of you who charge into battle and fall! ...

Please keep us informed as to any changes that may occur!

Naringal Guildmaster
Apprentice to Lord E'nick of Avalon's Crown
Eldest of the Amasai
Knight of Naringal

Before you assume, learn the facts. Before you judge, understand why.
Micha_Amasai

View user profile http://www.shopneroswv.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Arvil Boulderbreaker on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Well looks like i will be staining the soil of me lands with the blood of Ogres, Goblins, Lizardmen, Bog Trolls, Fomorian Giants, and Worgs. Them fools had better just turn tail now and run from this dwarf.
Arvil Boulderbreaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Terik on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Friends, my brother, Vaylen, is very strongly suggesting that we must enter cavern K. He is convinced that whatever lies in there holds the key to repelling the invading force. We are vastly outnumbered, it seems, so I will go with Vaylen to cave K first. I know we would have a better chance of success en masse. Thoughts?
Terik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top